Tool Applications?

Ah, tools. The most powerful equipment known to Gmodkind. They can either greatly enhance one's immersive/enjoyable experience, or wipe it away in the blink of an eye. I think it's safe to say that they should not be underestimated.

However.

Some people know how to wield these powers. So much so that they learn not to use them unless absolutely necessary...

...alright, enough farping around. What are your opinions on Tool Applications? Where you can apply for your character to have tools added to their loadout on the server.

Yes, yes, I know what you're thinking. "People would abuse the living hell out of them"; or "Giving people tools would practically throw all immersion out the window" - ya-da ya-da ya-da.

But think about it.

There are a dedicated majority of people on the server who can definitely be trusted; and from everyone's perspective their RP is very good and not, in (nearly) any way, rule-breaking. In addition to this, there are hundreds of little things that people with tools will be able to bring to Star Wars RP.

Medics, for example, could spawn in makeshift medkits, medical scanners, even small medical camps/FOB's to make a normal mass genocide from a Y-Wing Bomber look like an intensive recovery and rescue operation. In passive RP situations they could even carry around crates of medical supplies, or even datapads with "patient registries" on them.

Navy and even ISB, for another, could spawn in holo/datapads and make it look as though they're carrying around stacks of important documents.

Sith, for one more, could spawn in Holocrons for RP (under very heavy restrictions, of course), and-or even certain artifacts that they can claim to have wrested/claimed during some events (e.g. the Lightsaber of a fallen Jedi).

I believe that if the right people were given tool privileges, it would dramatically increase the immersive RP experience: both passive and active (particularly passive). The types of events you could thus pull off are seemingly endless (e.g. someone stealing an important ISB datapad, or being tasked to deliver an item to someone else).

Yes, I know we have Engineers for certain events/situations; but they can only do so much and they do all have their own things to attend to. Obviously this sort of thing isn't to be taken lightly, as tools can be abused and thus crash the server, if not merely ruining someone's experience. Players should also have a basic understanding of tools and-or some building skills, and their tool permissions would be exactly the same as if they were given tools normally by a mod on the server. (In essence, this application should be treated not much differently than that of an EM/TMod app)

Below is a draft of a Tool Application Template I've come up with. Take it or leave it, it's up to you guys what you think of the general idea. :)

*THIS IS NOT AN ACTUAL TEMPLATE - DO NOT COPY THIS AND PUT UP AN APPLICATION*

Spoiler

Tools Application Template

Steam Name:

Steam ID:

Steam Link:

In-game name:

Time played (Server Time/Screenshot evidence - 2-3 weeks minimum?):

Have you had any warns (If so state them):

Have you had any bans (If so state them):

Do you understand what Tools are and what they can do? Explain (1 paragraph):

Why do you want Tools (1 paragraph - brief examples of situations you would use tools in (RP reasons only):

How will your roleplay on the server be affected with Tools (1 paragraph):

Why should you be trusted with Tools:

Why do you deserve Tools (1 paragraph):

Things you cannot do/rules:

1. Advertising your application in OOC, chat box, personally telling people and any sort of social media will lead to your application being denied
2. Failing to answer questions can lead to your application being denied
3. False information can lead to your application being denied
4. Failing to meet the requirements can lead to either your application being put on hold or denied
5. Five or more warnings and your application will be denied (depending on the situation)
6. Must have more than 2-3? weeks on the server
7. Must have less than 2 bans to apply (depending on the situation)
8. Must have some building experience (you may be contacted to provide examples)
9. Must be dedicated to RP and perform good RP - especially if you are in an RP-heavy regiment (e.g. Medics)

Terms
I accept that I am a member of Imperial Gaming, and that I have been given these powers to make the experience of others better. I understand that advertising my application can get it denied. I accept that I may be stripped of these powers at any time by a senior member of staff without prior warning, as long as a valid reason is given. I have read all the rules and understand them completely, if not I will ask a higher staff member for a better explanation.

(Yes, I may have used parts of other templates to help write the above, but as I've stated something like this should be treated not much differently than an EM or TMod app, so the circumstances/reasons/application questions apply accordingly and almost equally)

Let me know what you think. :)

- Greyback <3

Edited by cjhrjone54
  • Upvote 3
3 minutes ago, Whitey said:

-1 All your examples can be achieved with PAC. I don't think it will add much overall for the effort it will take. 

It would depend on the type of RP you are intending to achieve. Those were only a few examples, but for specific regiments, especially those heavy with RP, having physical props to help enhance the experience can make all the difference if you know what you're doing. The latter of which isn't always achievable with PAC.

Bearing in mind that Tool Users wouldn't just be expected to spawn in single props, either. Some simple and small RP-intended dupes would also have to be created.

• Advisor
Just now, cjhrjone54 said:

It would depend on the type of RP you are intending to achieve. Those were only a few examples, but for specific regiments, especially those heavy with RP, having physical props to help enhance the experience can make all the difference if you know what you're doing. The latter of which isn't always achievable with PAC.

Bearing in mind that Tool Users wouldn't just be expected to spawn in single props, either. Some simple and small RP-intended dupes would also have to be created.

What I mean in regard to effort is a new class would need to be created to manage tools as part of their load at like PAC. The management team would have to go through applications like PAC. And then monitor to make sure it's not abused.

I know you say that they would need to apply but imagine the mess that could happen when no staff are on the server if a whole bunch of people had tools.

10 minutes ago, Whitey said:

-1 All your examples can be achieved with PAC. I don't think it will add much overall for the effort it will take. 

The only issue with this is that it's done irregularly and aren't given to the most optimal users. There are people in the PAC section that could help develop new PACs that do this, but instead, it's based off merit instead of PAC skills and capability. So the main statement of "this can be achieved with PAC" is only relevant as long as the people accepted are competent enough to use it.

• Upvote 1
20 minutes ago, Whitey said:

Agreed, Although it may be a good idea, It can always be abused and it's easily achieved within PAC3.

Good idea, but tools as a application aren't really nesserary. Most regiments have a staff member in them, (Most, not all) and they can give the tools in that circumstance.

Or you can ask for some, both achieve the same goal 

• Upvote 1
19 minutes ago, Demonic said:

this whole concept would completely destroy the purpose of engineers. Sorry man -1

Changing opinion lol

Edited by Kix
21 minutes ago, Demonic said:

this whole concept would completely destroy the purpose of engineers. Sorry man -1

Not necessarily, but still I don't think tools is something you should be able to apply for.

1 hour ago, Hisoka said:

Not necessarily, but still I don't think tools is something you should be able to apply for.

Perhaps, though it seems illogical to go through an application process if you can just shoot something in admin chat and get tools within 30 seconds.

• Upvote 3
4 hours ago, Demonic said:

*Hands stryker his redundancy pay and aims gun at his forehead*

Goodbye you beautiful bastard.

• Haha 1
12 minutes ago, Joel said:

So would all Admins and Mods need to apply for this aswell as engineers?

Staff get tools as they are a good way to physically stop arguments among other things.

Good points made by all! I didn't expect this to be a thing; was just interested in a discussion.

In response to you all...

The main point of this is only for people to use tools in RP purposes, for some of the above mentioned examples. I understand you can do a lot of the above with PAC, but at the same time PAC is relatively limited in some areas. If, for example, you have documents on a datapad that you want someone to deliver to someone else, it would be much easier just to spawn in the datapad so it can be easily transported between three people. If you were expected to use PAC, in this instance, it mightn't be as effective as all of the people involved may not have it, and if they do they would need to create a makeshift PAC specifically for transporting/receiving a simple datapad at the last minute; if not planning ahead in advance for a simple movement of documents.

IOW, with certain people having tools it allows them to make split-second decisions for select RP situations, whether that involves spawning in a quick datapad for transport or procuring quick physical evidence when prompted for it. That of which would be somewhat technical and time-consuming to do if you were to use PAC, unless you already have those specific PACs created in advance. And, let's face it, you can't exactly do split-second RP with PAC unless you already have certain PACs created, but even then there's only so many events/situations you can prepare for. The options you would have with tools are about as vast as the options you have with PAC. And not only that, but people can't exactly physically interact with your PACs in certain RP situations. The idea of people having tools would mean that they are able to physically interact with the object(s) spawned for RP, greatly adding to the immersion.

Other than that, we do have Engineers, I fully agree on that.

We also have mods who can provide tools, I understand that, too.

An entirely new class and management of said class/making sure people don't minge with the tools in-out of hot hours would also be difficult.

However,

Engineers aren't always free in passive RP situations and especially in active RP, meaning that using them for certain events/situations isn't always possible (especially for split-second RP decisions) - and it seems a bit nonsensical for one just to join Engineers so that they can do one little bit of RP that they wanted to do in another regiment (although, with that said, Engineers can do a lot of passive RP themselves, but it's mainly restricted to Engineer-related stuff only - at least from what I've seen).

Mods can grant tools at the simplicity of !give <player> weapon_toolgun... mmm not much I can say on that. That's a strong point in itself. (except of course when no mods are online to grant such a request, in a situation where you might need tools)

Management of said class/making sure people don't minge? There's always going to be minges, especially on server downtime. Tools, PAC, EM/Mod or not, there's always gonna be someone doing something that's going to wind up with a bit of chaos - regardless of whether or not a mod is on the server.

On a side note, don't get me wrong - Engineers can still do their thing. Just imagine those of us with Tool privileges doing the exact same thing as Engineers, except keeping it restricted to their regiment. Shock/Riot do Shock/Riot stuff; Medics do Medic stuff; Navy do Navy stuff; and so on so forth.

Again, I'm not expecting this to be a thing. Just interested in the discussion of it :)

Edited by cjhrjone54
18 hours ago, Ridge said:

Tools are used for tryouts/training or creating PassiveRP (with permission from staff). After they are finished they should kill in console so they no longer have it. People can always request tools and with the amount of staff members we have it shouldn't take any time out of their day giving you tools. Won't be happening my dude, it is a good idea though.

^^

• Whitey locked this topic