Takeoff and Landing Codes Menu

Takeoff and Landing Codes Menu

G'day all,

Recently I've been working on a simple script which contains all the spacecraft takeoff and landing codes. So sum it up simply, it contains buttons which automatically broadcast your selected takeoff and landing codes over the communications channel. The menu appears through a console command, and contains three tabs. The first is the takeoff codes, second is the landing codes and the third lists all the codes and their descriptions. It is based off the current take off and landing code spreadsheet the pilots provide. The intention of this application was to familiarise myself with the coding and issues that could occur when creating panels. I'm curious of interest, because the usage of this panel should completely remove the requirement to use the chat box when piloting on the sever.

I'm creating this post to see if there is any interest in this script being added to the sever, and if not then I still take away the experience I gained working with this particular code. It's also opens up the opportunity for similar menus to be created for specific roles on the sever, at their request of course.

Features

To open the panel, you simply run this command through the console 'pilot_codes_menu'

Console.png.8ff7c7b1a68944e1fb79973e904794b4.png

This can also be bound to a key through the console, for example 'bind key "pilot_codes_menu", replacing key with the desired key you wish to utilise.

Upon opening the menu, you are presented with the takeoff codes tab, which appears on the right hand side of the screen. You have the option of changing to the landing and descriptions tabs, imaged below.

Takeoff.png.0572183c6d13309ccc78afbb3b51a079.pngLanding.png.01da98c3e5460795d67992d562740630.pngDescriptions.png.30ada05657a329e3efb496c17e3a1a34.png

From here, you can select the code you wish to be broadcast through communications, and also reference the codes in the description tab. Selecting the buttons in the respective tabs will broadcast "your_name requesting takeoff, sending codes now... selected_code", with respect to the button you select. There is no function to make a selection in the description tab and broadcast at this stage.

****Note****

Opening the menu takes control of your mouse, it is not recommended to be used in high speed flight.

Once your selection has been made, the menu automatically closes returning control of your mouse to you.

Imaged below is the output of the selected codes.

Output.png.2923614a697a10a57fbe1fd771c1fdb4.png

(The issue where there is no space between the /comms and the player_name on the landing codes has been rectified. )

Some more work may be required in order to get it to function correctly on the sever, but it is at a stage where I am able to propose this to the sever as an idea. As I mentioned earlier, this is simply a stepping stone in my developing progress in order to familiarise myself with these aspects of coding. I plan to change some of the button colours to represent more important codes, but for now this is where it stands.

If anyone has any suggestions feel free to leave them in the comments below.

Kind Regards,

Staticiser

Edited by Staticiser
  • Upvote 1

Nice derma consider adding a key press feature(+) where if they hold the key down the menu stays open. concommand("+snacks", functionshit()) then a concommand.Add("-snacks, functionshit()) which should close the menu when the key bind is let go of (CloseDermaMenus()) :)

edit: or change the visibility of the parent panel ;P

Edited by Fancy
  • Advisor

Excellent idea.

We are currently looking at editing the codes at the moment to include a few more.

Would you also be able to a navy tab allowing for Granting, Denying, Hold Formation, etc?

3 minutes ago, Whitey said:

Excellent idea.

We are currently looking at editing the codes at the moment to include a few more.

Would you also be able to a navy tab allowing for Granting, Denying, Hold Formation, etc?

I can, however I would need to discuss how you would like this to function. I can simply add "/comms Granted" etc. under a separate tab for navy, but at this stage there is no functionality in order to specifically reply to the individual, nor do I think I could fit it on a panel of this size. The intent of this panel was so that it does not obstruct the view of the pilot when used, which is why the panel itself is quite small. Rather then simply adding a separate tab for Navy, I could create a larger panel specifically designed for Navy's use, which would allow room for the navy to select who they reply to, as well as allow room for other features to assist Navy in there duties. 

As far as the editing of the codes, there should be no issues in adding new codes and adjusting them as they change, as the buttons at this stage only run basic functions.

I wish to eventually build a scenario where the two panels coexist with cross functionality. Where pilots who request to takeoff would appear under a list in the Navy panel, where they can track and modify the state of pilots in the air, as well as notify Navy when new requests come through. This will require a significant amount of work however, and because I'm returning to work next week the amount of time it takes for me to produce scripts is going to increase. 

At this stage, I can build a panel for Navy with similar functionality to the pilot one I have created, and when it comes to including the more advanced features I can consult Martibo on how to approach the issues it presents with cross functionality. 

• Whitey locked this topic