Event Metagaming

People really need to be educated about metagaming this means you don't do something if you wouldn't in real life e.g shoot at event characters just because you see a name tag , also i was recently an event character and was hiding and I killed this dude literally 5 times and he came back and kept looking for me every time.  Its just these simple things that can ruin events . 

• Upvote 7
6 minutes ago, Wilson06 said:

People really need to be educated about metagaming this means you don't do something if you wouldn't in real life e.g shoot at event characters just because you see a name tag , also i was recently an event character and was hiding and I killed this dude literally 5 times and he came back and kept looking for me every time.  Its just these simple things that can ruin events . 

+1

Educate yourselves.

2 hours ago, Mauler said:

this is a branch off of one of our most fundamental rules: No failrp. Clearly when Recruits are getting trained, they aren’t being taught this.

In my experience, metagame is one of those things that a lot of people tend to do, intentionally or not. To more casual roleplayers, there may not appear to be anything immediately wrong about metagame, despite it's profound impact on roleplay. In order for it to be combatted effectively, metagame needs to be clearly addressed in its own right, with various examples provided, as well as an explanation as to why it is unacceptable. Simply telling a recruit not to FailRP, or to always RP when above X ammount of players is hardly educational, and can lead to subpar troopers and roleplayers in the end.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Mauler said:

this is a branch off of one of our most fundamental rules: No failrp. Clearly when Recruits are getting trained, they aren’t being taught this.

On what Mauler said, SGT+ now need to be instructed on what metagaming as I wouldn’t be surprised if some of them dont even know. Then to also make sure recruits are fully aware of what it is and realise that it is not allowed. If people are caught metagaming they need to be warned then informed of what they did. 

9 hours ago, Ramirez said:

On what Mauler said, SGT+ now need to be instructed on what metagaming as I wouldn’t be surprised if some of them dont even know. Then to also make sure recruits are fully aware of what it is and realise that it is not allowed. If people are caught metagaming they need to be warned then informed of what they did. 

18 hours ago, Mauler said:

16 hours ago, Zach said:

In my experience, metagame is one of those things that a lot of people tend to do, intentionally or not. To more casual roleplayers, there may not appear to be anything immediately wrong about metagame, despite it's profound impact on roleplay. In order for it to be combatted effectively, metagame needs to be clearly addressed in its own right, with various examples provided, as well as an explanation as to why it is unacceptable. Simply telling a recruit not to FailRP, or to always RP when above X ammount of players is hardly educational, and can lead to subpar troopers and roleplayers in the end.

I believe we need to crack down more on fail rp and metagaming because many people dont understand what it is and sgt's definitely should explain to recruits about metagaming and fail rp alot more.

@Wilson06 

You have raised an excellent point here, and I'm glad that many of you feel the same way. Thankfully, for myself, I haven't had too many events where this has been a problem, however I do have experience while both being an Event character and an Event Master. 

This first example was some time ago, and its was my first experience with being an Event Character. I was part of a Rebel group that had been ordered by our Commander to head to TIE Bays for evacuation. This was done over enemy comms, which had not been hacked into by the Imperials. As soon as the order came through, we saw Sith force-leaping past us as we ran down next to the tram. As soon as we arrived at the entrance to TIE bays, we were completely stopped by a line of Sith with sabers ignited. In a matter of seconds, we were all killed and the event ended there. I later found out that another event was to take place as we were meant to escape. 

The second incident was more recent, as my fifth event as a Trial Event Master. The background for the event was simply some passive roleplay with Imperial inspectors boarding the Star Destroyer. I told the characters early on that they were not Rebels and there would be no fighting. As soon as they landed, they were meant with troopers with guns out and asking for ID, which I had given them. Even after stating why they were there, and giving the correct ID, they were still followed the entire time by troopers and Sith just waiting for them to go bad so they can get the jump on them. When the characters left with no shoot out, a lot of people were upset, and said they didn't enjoy the event because they didn't get the chance to kill anyone.

Overall, I think that meta gaming is definitely an issue that needs to be properly addressed sooner rather than later, as it is already plaguing many events and will continue to do so if it is not sorted out. That's just my 5c on the issue, if you've taken the time to read this, take action if you see this happening on the server. Event Masters don't have time to deal with this kind of thing when they are managing 10 other things at once.

We have enough to worry about, trust me. 

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, Lincoln said:

This first example was some time ago, and its was my first experience with being an Event Character. I was part of a Rebel group that had been ordered by our Commander to head to TIE Bays for evacuation. This was done over enemy comms, which had not been hacked into by the Imperials. As soon as the order came through, we saw Sith force-leaping past us as we ran down next to the tram. As soon as we arrived at the entrance to TIE bays, we were completely stopped by a line of Sith with sabers ignited. In a matter of seconds, we were all killed and the event ended there. I later found out that another event was to take place as we were meant to escape. 

wow, seems pretty horrible seeing though it was the sith and not just a new st..

I agree with all the points brought up in this thread, I once witnessed TT spamming the elevator button because event characters were riding up it, and their excuse was that they were afraid we'd get breached or something.