Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Gregis

Warns

Ok so i am probably going to receive a bit of backlash from this but,

I love this community, and for the most part i love the staffing team. I have 2 weeks and as a result of this I've picked up a few warns inevitably, just being the person i am and silly mistakes.

My problem is for the 4 warns i have, i haven't been taken to a sit or talked to once. 1 of these warns was warranted in my eyes and i was happy to take it. The others i would've really liked to of sat down with the issuing admin/mod/t-mod, and talked to them about what i have done. I am not asking for my warns to be revoked, because tbh i probably deserve more if anything, but these experiences have left me questioning the method staff take when giving a warn. Surely during the process its mandatory to talk to the offender about why the warn is being given.

Anyway, this isn't me hating on anyone, love the community and staff team. More of me questioning the process

Love you all

~Gregis

• Upvote 1

I feel sometimes, a hammer is used to massage out issues they could have used a polishing cloth for, but at the end of the day, it's hard for every staff member to be familiar with every player, so it is not surprising that every now and then a square peg gets banged into a circular hole. (What I mean is, if you haven't seen much of a player, it's easy to assume they are a minge/troublemaker, and be a little overzealous with your castigating (rather than looking at the situation without prejudice and wondering if perhaps there are other intentions/circumstances behind the behaviour - being condescending/arrogant to a player (who may not understand the full context of where they went wrong) is more likely to exacerbate their poor behavior than reduce it!!).

I have also noticed that warns are inconsistent depending on who is giving them out - for example, I had been using GMod for 3 or 4 days at the time, and managed to acquire a warn; I killed one guy in character after he disrespected me in character (knocked a meal tray out of my hands in the mess hall, I shot him, 10 seconds went by, he fired back and then I shot him to death, initially had no intention to murder, just to shoot at as a warning) and instead of getting time in the brig as would be expected for an in-character murder, I got an RDM warn :/ Whereas a new ST comes on, kills several people gets a verbal warn... . Have also seen/heard of similar instances where lesser crimes were more severely punished than more serious ones.

This is simply an observation based on my experience over the last few months, and in no way an attack against any individuals or the staffing team!  You are very much appreciated!  But it is understandable that sometimes, simply due to the fact it would be impossible to become familiar with the nature and intentions of every player, punishments may be given that are out of proportion with the actual offense.

My 2c

• Upvote 3

26 minutes ago, Tonberry said:

I feel sometimes, a hammer is used to massage out issues they could have used a polishing cloth for, but at the end of the day, it's hard for every staff member to be familiar with every player, so it is not surprising that every now and then a square peg gets banged into a circular hole. (What I mean is, if you haven't seen much of a player, it's easy to assume they are a minge/troublemaker, and be a little overzealous with your castigating (rather than looking at the situation without prejudice and wondering if perhaps there are other intentions/circumstances behind the behaviour - being condescending/arrogant to a player (who may not understand the full context of where they went wrong) is more likely to exacerbate their poor behavior than reduce it!!).

I have also noticed that warns are inconsistent depending on who is giving them out - for example, I had been using GMod for 3 or 4 days at the time, and managed to acquire a warn; I killed one guy in character after he disrespected me in character (knocked a meal tray out of my hands in the mess hall, I shot him, 10 seconds went by, he fired back and then I shot him to death, initially had no intention to murder, just to shoot at as a warning) and instead of getting time in the brig as would be expected for an in-character murder, I got an RDM warn :/ Whereas a new ST comes on, kills several people gets a verbal warn... . Have also seen/heard of similar instances where lesser crimes were more severely punished than more serious ones.

This is simply an observation based on my experience over the last few months, and in no way an attack against any individuals or the staffing team!  You are very much appreciated!  But it is understandable that sometimes, simply due to the fact it would be impossible to become familiar with the nature and intentions of every player, punishments may be given that are out of proportion with the actual offense.

My 2c

Hitting the nail on the head, I once was in a RP situation with a therapist, and he told me to do some "deep breathing", which i did... which probably didn't sound to good through a mic. But this was purely unintentional, and an admin was walking past outside just as i was doing it... and warned me. This is a situation for example where i would've loved to be actually talked to so i could explain myself. 

• Upvote 2

just contact the warning staff members and if they actually want to cooperate with you and talk about the situation and actually listen to you then theirs probs a chance of the warns being revoked

Hi all,

Thank you for raising this issue. Recently the moderator staff have been given warning guidelines to follow in relation to offenses. Now not all incidents are straightforward but at the same time a lot of these occur regularly and the staff constantly hear the same story. If you have a particular warn you want to talk about then send me a message on the forums and ill look into it. But at the same time please remember to follow the server rules.

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, Whitey said:

Hi all,

Thank you for raising this issue. Recently the moderator staff have been given warning guidelines to follow in relation to offenses. Now not all incidents are straightforward but at the same time a lot of these occur regularly and the staff constantly hear the same story. If you have a particular warn you want to talk about then send me a message on the forums and ill look into it. But at the same time please remember to follow the server rules.

I understand the complexities of a task of something like moderating/administrating and I am happy to hear guidelines have been implemented, i hope this involves the inclusion of a requirement of having to communicate with the party, who is receiving the warn.

Thanks for the response

~Gregis

14 minutes ago, Gregis said:

I understand the complexities of a task of something like moderating/administrating and I am happy to hear guidelines have been implemented, i hope this involves the inclusion of a requirement of having to communicate with the party, who is receiving the warn.

Thanks for the response

~Gregis

Hi Gregis,

It depends on the warning. If you are swearing in OOC Chat / Racism /  Mass RDMing / etc. then there isn't really a discussion to be had. Otherwise yes moderators should be bringing you to an Admin Sit.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 3

Lol I have never had a case where staff members haven't pulled me up for what they're warning me for. That's probably because I haven't been warned on this server in about a years time :) I'm a good boy. I'm sure the staff team doesn't pull you up because they expect you to know what you did wrong and why you got the consequences for your actions. Some of the things whitey said in the previous post are self explanatory and you should instantly know why you got them but I'm sure you haven't been pulled up for any of those warnable offences because if you did you wouldn't be making this post. Good Luck Gregis! Have a great day! 

(I've been there before Gregis. I have had times where staff haven't pulled me to cases and most of the time it is because they're either handling other cases or can't get to you because of In-game stuff that needs to be tended too.)

To add onto what Whitey said, we typically only really pull people aside and explain a warning if we think you understand what you've done wrong. 

For example;

Someone mic-spamming who has been told to stop and doesn't will get a warning.

Someone who is shooting people randomly around the ship will get a warning for Random deathmatching (RDM).

Someone who is excessively swearing in OOC or abusing other players will be given a warning.

Most warnings that are issued are usually self-explanatory because if you're going around shooting multiple people you obviously know what you're doing wrong and to otherwise sit down and have a discussion about it would often result in the accused person trying to convince their way out of the warning saying they didn't know they couldn't shoot people randomly. Ultimately sparking a debate between the player and the staff member and wasting still resulting in a warning and wasting the staff members time.

Some warnings are different however and could have a bit of backstory to it if this occurs put in @ chat and ask if you can be spoken to about the warning and they can backtrack with plogs and with the data they have at the time they could change their decision. Unless you have significant evidence I don't recommend appealing for a warning to be removed days after it has been issued as it can sometimes be difficult to assess the situation properly.

• Upvote 2