Guskywalker

ISD Update Poll

Next Star Destroyer Location  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Which location would you like to see in the next ISD update?

• Wobani (Imperial Labour Camp)
    • Corellia (watch solo)
    • Ring of Kafrene (trade city)
    • Kessel (watch solo)
    • Nebulon B Frigate (Rebel Ship)
    • Yavin 4 (Rebel Base)

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closes on 07/12/2018 at 02:00 PM

11 posts in this topic

Recently, the Death Star was added to the Star Destroyer map as a hyperspace location. In the next update, Lord Trilobite plans to add another hyperspace location, which like the Death Star, will allow players to interact and land on the location. Above are the main options for the next location but if you do have another suggestion, feel free to comment on this thread. The more options we get the better so please vote. 

Edited by Guskywalker
  • Like 3

good work mr map consultant. think of the passiverp potential of non combat areas like cities

• Haha 1

I think that adding Kessel would be really nice for a wide variety of reasons. Can put prisoners out there for punishment, bounty hunters can take jobs from drug lords, things like that.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I have some ideas. Not sure how realistic these would be to implement map-wise but food for thought.

Spoiler

1. A section of a wrecked Star Destroyer. Perhaps the Star Destroyer can be floating in space in bits and there can be access to one section like either the engine room and some rooms or MH2 and the bays around it.

2. Kuat Drive Yards Orbital Shipyards or Fonder Shipyards. The Star Destroyer can be docked at the shipyards and there can be access to a docking station which has engineering facilities and the like. The Star Destroyer can be outside the station while docked at the shipyard. If possible, the area around the shipyard can be flown around.

3. A hangar and some rooms in a Super Star Destroyer. It would be similar to the current area available on the Death Star.

4. The Planetary Shield Array for Scarif. There can be access to the facilities for the array and the hangars can lead directly into the area around the shield opening, which can be flown around. The planet and its surface can be seen, including the Imperial Citadel Tower.

5. Some floating platforms in the middle of Coruscant which can have a section of the city underneath to explore with skyscrapers surrounding it.

6. Theed Hangar in Naboo with an outside area to fly around in and access to the plasma power plant. Possibly the Theed Royal Palace can be added as an interior location but it should be at least featured in the skybox or be flown around. Would be great to pair with the Naboo city map.

7. The Imperial Palace (Jedi Temple) on Coruscant with a landing pad and access to a lot of the facilities such as but not limited to the halls, library, training areas and the Jedi Council meeting room. The Sith could be relocated here.

8. Lothal. Possible locations are the Capital City which in itself has areas such as the Imperial Complex and the fuel depot. Otherwise there can be an Imperial airfield out in the wilderness.

9. The Holy City on Jedha.

10. The City of Kestro on Vardos.

11. Chinook Station on Bespin. Can have a large open area to fly around in.

12. Sullust.

Maybe pick the most reasonable out of these to put up to vote. I might add some more areas if I think of them.

Edited by SCHEFF
  • Upvote 1

So while I think its great that Guskywalker posted the poll here I made on the workshop so it gets more attention. More votes is always good. But without the explanation I put in my own thread. I don't think people have a good idea what these locations would be like. Wobani, which seems to be winning right now, would be exclusively interior. And large open areas are absolutely impossible and are just not going to happen. It would be the same idea as the Death Star is right now. A small location with a landing area and a few location specific hallways or rooms. The locations would be reachable like the DS, by using hyperspace and flying towards the map edge using a ship. Map limits don't allow for much more. And the more I add on other locations, the less I can add in the ISD itself, which is of course still the main focus of the map.

Lemme also quote myself on what I said in my own thread for clarification:

Spoiler

So. As many of you might know, last big update I added the Death Star (DS) as an actual location to this map. You can reach it by using the hyperspace feature on the bridge of the ISD and going to the DS location, and then using a ship to fly towards the map edge which teleports you to a fairly small DS location.

I've gotten nice feedback on that location. But I want to add another location to expand the map more and make it even more fun for RP. Possibly another imperial location, possibly a neutral location, possibly even a rebel base location. I have a few ideas in mind. But due to map limits, I can't just add all of these. I kinda have to choose which location would be coolest, most iconic and more useful for playing.

So here are some ideas for locations I had. And what I'd like from you, the community, is vote for your favourite. And also WHY you want that location. The more reactions I get here, the better choice I can make. It depends on the limits, but I think I might be able to add like one or two new locations that could then be accessed by hyperspace.

Remember that due to limits I also have to keep the locations small and to the point. Interiors are easier to add. So please vote for your favourite suggestions. And only if you REALLY want you can come up with your own suggestion, but the idea would have to be really good. I also sadly can't make any promisses as some locations might run into problems with the map limits anyway.

That list of locations in the poll are a few ideas I've thought might fit or I've already tested some. Here's what those locations would look like if I added them.

Wobani - Hangar and prison interior

Corellia - Hangar and some streets (possibly rain). Maybe two interiors or so.

Ring of Kafrene - Hangar and some streets, basically the same type of location as Corellia. A seedy urban environment.

Kessel - Landing area surrounded by cliffs and mine interior (similar in style to Wobani, good for prison use. Pinejack made a good point about it also being useful for crime stuff)

Nebulong B Frigate - Rebel ship that would be next to the ISD, when flying into the hangar you'd get teleported to an interior with hangar, bridge, bunks and maybe some other stuff.

Yavin 4 - Landing area outside temple and temple interior that functions as rebel base. Just like Nebulon B, it should be able to house a small rebel faction permanently. Not just for events.

To comment on some of the extra suggestions some of you made. Rishi moon is not an interesting place at all. I basically want to add a location that is both fairly iconic as well as useful for general play. Super Star Destroyer is probably the most bland thing I could add. It would just be the exact same hangar and bridge as the ISD. No reason at all to add that. Large open areas like Coruscant with skyscrapers is just not possible because almost all the area is taken up by space already.

While Scarif planetary shield is a pretty cool idea. I think that's more something for it's own map cause it's probably too big. A map with the planetary shield with interior would make more sense. But I don't think I have time to make that.

One idea I really like though, that I hadn't considered at all, is the shipyard idea. It would indeed be ffing cool if the ISD could be docked. I'm not sure how doable this idea is. but it sounds like it might be worth thinking about some more.

some wrecked ships in space could also be pretty cool, even if it's just in the skybox. Enterable wrecks is probably a no-go though.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 7

On 6/13/2018 at 8:22 AM, LordTrilobite said:

One idea I really like though, that I hadn't considered at all, is the shipyard idea. It would indeed be ffing cool if the ISD could be docked. I'm not sure how doable this idea is. but it sounds like it might be worth thinking about some more.

some wrecked ships in space could also be pretty cool, even if it's just in the skybox. Enterable wrecks is probably a no-go though.

The shipyard idea could become its own map with like multiple smaller SD’s (and that would be really cool as well).

For the wrecked ships, perhaps you could replace some of the asteroids with wrecked ships (that you can’t enter [like a debris field])

I kinda hate it when maps downsize stuff to fit it in. My ISD is already like half of the actual size and that was absolutely necessary since it wouldn't fit in the map otherwise. But downsizing an ISD even more just completely breaks the illusion imo.

If I'd make a debris field though, I'd make it a new hyperspace location, not the same as the asteroid field. It's definitely doable, I just need to make a few debris models.

It seems Wobani is winning the poll. What I'd like to know is why. What do people expect/want from a location like that. Because people might have very different ideas to what is actually possible to do in this map.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, LordTrilobite said:

I kinda hate it when maps downsize stuff to fit it in. My ISD is already like half of the actual size and that was absolutely necessary since it wouldn't fit in the map otherwise. But downsizing an ISD even more just completely breaks the illusion imo.

If I'd make a debris field though, I'd make it a new hyperspace location, not the same as the asteroid field. It's definitely doable, I just need to make a few debris models.

It seems Wobani is winning the poll. What I'd like to know is why. What do people expect/want from a location like that. Because people might have very different ideas to what is actually possible to do in this map.

When I was voting for it I was thinking of how it'd affect roleplay, such as prison brakes we need to attend to, or allowing people To RP as citizens and work there. 

I thought of a mine with a few cells. 

Noob question @LordTrilobite but is it possible to have two 3D skyboxes to work for two separate areas of the map? If so, that could somewhat sort out the no large open areas problem as a large area could be shown but we could access only a small part of it.

Edited by SCHEFF

12 hours ago, Eclipse said:

When I was voting for it I was thinking of how it'd affect roleplay, such as prison brakes we need to attend to, or allowing people To RP as citizens and work there. 

I thought of a mine with a few cells. 

Wobani wouldn't have any mine area. It would just be a prison. As we know from the film, the working area is outside of the prison area. There's no room to do that in the map. I don't see how civilians can have much of a place there as it would be pretty exclusive to the empire as an empire run facility.

In my mind, Wobani could be pretty cool. It fits in with the imperial theme and provides an extra location for the empire to do some evil deeds. Another upside is that I don't need to make a whole bunch of new textures as the style is similar to the rest of the map. There's also some reference on how the cell block looks in and outside the cells.

On the downsides, the style is similar to the rest of the map. So that's less visually interesting. It would only really provide a function that is already served on the ISD in a smaller scale, namely imprisoning people. Without an exterior (which is not going to happen) I fear it might not be that unique a location. Another possible downside is that with many interactive cell doors, that might be taxing on the map, which may result in me having to simplify things, or cut other future content.

12 hours ago, SCHEFF said:

Noob question @LordTrilobite but is it possible to have two 3D skyboxes to work for two separate areas of the map? If so, that could somewhat sort out the no large open areas problem as a large area could be shown but we could access only a small part of it.

That is absolutely and completely impossible. Which is why I said large open areas are a no go. One map can only have one 3D skybox.

Even skies are a challenge since you can't have two skies. So if I want to make an outside area on a planet, I'd have to fake a sky with a solid unshaded texture. THis is why it's also generally a bad idea to make wildly different areas in the same map. It's also impossible to use different fog settings for different areas for example.

• Upvote 1