Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Emerald

Garry's Mod using 100% of GPU and 20% of my Memory.

Question

Recently my Garry's Mod has been lagging a load and I've been having FPS Issues, I've now looked in Task Manager and have realised that it is using 100% of my GPU and about 20% of my Memory.

My whole computer has been lagging heaps aswell, And it never used to do this, I would appreciate any support anyone could give me.

I used to get around 100-200 FPS, I now get 2-18 FPS.

5a97be8515a63_100TaskManager.PNG.8be6e4b0c018d133e6112eae748cbdbb.PNG

I have an: Alienware 14x, It used to run like a charm, But it's just been running like trash lately.

Edited by Emerald

25 answers to this question

Hey Emerald! Sorry to hear you having troubles with running Garry's Mod smoothly. Firstly I recommend updating your drivers as that can sometimes cause your laptop  to run slower than normal. Also If you are using Pac3 there is a known issue with certain models within Garry's Mod that aren't optimised all that well, I suggest going through them and take them out one by one and see if you get any positive results out of that. Another thing that might be worth doing is to check for any useless workshop items you may have installed that you don't use anymore as they may also cause the issue you seem to be having. As stated above by Pinejack, make sure to keep any programs you aren't using closed to give you as much extra GPU usage as you can as ever little bit helps. Other than that it could just be an internal GPU problem, E.g. old age, and unfortunately there's not much you can do about that unless you have money to spare which obviously not everyone does. Other than that I'd also recommend running Garry's Mod on the lowest possible settings at all time from now on, as continuous strain on your GPU can cause such problems to occur. Should none of this work try re-installing verifying your cache and re-installing Garry's Mod as that may solve the problem to however I highly doubt it will.

I hope I have helped in some way, and I'm sorry to hear your having a hard time on Garry's Mod.

Best of luck!

~ Veybur

Edited by Veybur
  • Upvote 1

How old is your GPU?

Over time as the GPU ages it may require more V (voltage) in order to run at the same speed. If you are using a computer I advise just replacing it with a different GPU.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Wenus said:

How old is your GPU?

Over time as the GPU ages it may require more V (voltage) in order to run at the same speed. If you are using a computer I advise just replacing it with a different GPU.

I'm using a laptop, My GPU is probably about 4-5 years old?

I would either get it checked out or buy a new laptop. *if it is consistent*

Edited by Wenus

This happens occasionally to me (I play gmod on a laptop too). I just restart my computer and it usually works fine. I sometimes also quit some other useless programs running in the background.

4 minutes ago, Ramirez said:

Is this Laptop a gaming laptop and what is the model?

Yes, It's a gaming Laptop and the model is an Alienware 14x

3 minutes ago, Veybur said:

Hey Emerald! Sorry to hear you having troubles with running Garry's Mod smoothly. Firstly I recommend updating your drivers as that can sometimes cause your laptop  to run slower than normal. Also If you are using Pac3 there is a known issue with certain models within Garry's Mod that aren't optimised all that well, I suggest going through them and take them out one by one and see if you get any positive results out of that. Another thing that might be worth doing is to check for any useless workshop items you may have installed that you don't use anymore as they may also cause the issue you seem to be having. As stated above by Pinejack, make sure to keep any programs you aren't using closed to give you as much extra CPU usage as you can as ever little bit helps. Other than that it could just be an internal CPU problem, E.g. old age, and unfortunately there's not much you can do about that unless you have money to spare which obviously not everyone does. Other than that I'd also recommend running Garry's Mod on the lowest possible settings at all time from now on, as continuous strain on your CPU can cause such problems to occur. Should none of this work try re-installing verifying your cache and re-installing Garry's Mod as that may solve the problem to however I highly doubt it will.

I hope I have helped in some way, and I'm sorry to hear your having a hard time on Garry's Mod.

Best of luck!

~ Veybur

I'll try some of these possible solutions.

Thanks for the help.

If you set your computer to prioritise Garry’s Mod (via Task Manager), it will redirect all available processing power to gmod. Works for me :3

7 minutes ago, Mauler said:

If you set your computer to prioritise Garry’s Mod (via Task Manager), it will redirect all available processing power to gmod. Works for me :3

How would I do that, Must’ve forgotten

Oh theres your issue, Spotted it right there in the corner of my eye.. It seems to be that you are playing on a laptop... Probably best to chuck it out and grab a desktop

:lul::lul::lul::lul:

This is legitimate support, Laptops are good for like a month before they start to die no matter how expensive they are.

Edited by |Stryker|

50 minutes ago, |Stryker| said:

Oh theres your issue, Spotted it right there in the corner of my eye.. It seems to be that you are playing on a laptop... Probably best to chuck it out and grab a desktop

:lul::lul::lul::lul:

This is legitimate support, Laptops are good for like a month before they start to die no matter how expensive they are.

I’ve had my laptop for 5 years and it runs Garry’s Mod perfectly fine. It can even run ARMA III Sand R6S relatively well, so I don’t know where you got this information from.

• Thinking 1

If you want the best performance, do realtime but this might have negative effects on your computer in general. I just use high. This is also helpful for getting rid of the lua panic error.

20 hours ago, Veybur said:

Hey Emerald! Sorry to hear you having troubles with running Garry's Mod smoothly. Firstly I recommend updating your drivers as that can sometimes cause your laptop  to run slower than normal. Also If you are using Pac3 there is a known issue with certain models within Garry's Mod that aren't optimised all that well, I suggest going through them and take them out one by one and see if you get any positive results out of that. Another thing that might be worth doing is to check for any useless workshop items you may have installed that you don't use anymore as they may also cause the issue you seem to be having. As stated above by Pinejack, make sure to keep any programs you aren't using closed to give you as much extra GPU usage as you can as ever little bit helps. Other than that it could just be an internal GPU problem, E.g. old age, and unfortunately there's not much you can do about that unless you have money to spare which obviously not everyone does. Other than that I'd also recommend running Garry's Mod on the lowest possible settings at all time from now on, as continuous strain on your GPU can cause such problems to occur. Should none of this work try re-installing verifying your cache and re-installing Garry's Mod as that may solve the problem to however I highly doubt it will.

Best of luck!

~ Veybur

I've tried this, Seems my Laptop is like really outdated with like everything lmao

Gonna try and purchase a new laptop sometime 

I used to get pretty shitty fps, and it was dropping for a while. I then updated my drivers and I got a good 20+ fps.

I'm pretty sure to have your performance set on High, but not too sure.

Hey Emerald,

As stated above try to update your drivers. Try reducing your in game settings. Going full screen in game will reduce load on GPU as well.

@Whitey yeap sure, In the meantime I will look into it and see if I can find a fix. When your on just move me into a channel and see what we can do.

Bump, Its happening to me again, It's way worse now.

Edited by Emerald